Amniotics™, formerly Longboat Amniotics, was born out of the discovery of a novel source of stem cells in full-term amniotic fluid. Based on a decade of research at the internationally recognized Lund University Stem Cell Center and Hospital, the company is pioneering the harvesting and propagation of tissue relevant neonatal quality mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs). Researchers and founders of the company, pediatrician Marcus Larsson, obstetrician Andreas Herbst and stem cell specialist Niels-Bjarne Woods discovered a new type of stem cells in amniotic fluid that has unique properties for applications in regenerative medicine.
In the summer of 2019, the company raised 20 MSEK for the validation of our MSCs in preclinical models for lung disease as well as for the completion and process validation of the GMP manufacturing facility. With the new GMP facilities operational in early 2020, Amniotics™ is now looking to establish strategic partnerships with companies that are interested in developing stem-cell-based therapies targeting diseases with unmet needs.
To contribute to the successful treatment of human diseases by providing the very best stem cell for medical applications. We are devoted to developing innovative life-changing and regenerative treatments for patients.
Deliver safe and effective innovative therapies to patients with unmet medical needs.
The strategy is to develop treatments for diseases with severe inflammatory and fibrotic components, where tissue-relevant stem cells can be expected to have an impact and be life-changing treatments.
The objective is to successfully conduct and complete planned clinical trials with our tissue-relevant MSCs.
Amniotics™ is presently producing technical batches of our lung-appropriate cells and qualifying the premises for ATMP production and GMP inspection. With the results from our preclinical studies and the characterization of the quality attributes of the cells (sterility, stability, identity, purity, potency, injectability), we are moving towards clinical trials with speed, with a focus set for treatment of COVID-19.
At Amniotics™, we aim to positively impact the lives of patients and their families with severe diseases by developing innovative therapies. With our novel treatments in development, we strive to help as many patients as possible as fast as possible.
Sidonie Karlsson, MSc
- BSc in Biochemistry and Organic Chemistry Engineering (Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Chimie de Montpellier, France), MSc in Biochemistry (Lund University)
- Joined in 2019
- Previously 22+ years of experience in the industry with AstraZeneca (UK), Novo Nordisk, BioInvent International AB, PlantVision AB, Galenica AB, Straumann
Shalini Prabhu, PhD
- PhD in Molecular Biology from Bangalore University (India)
- Joined in 2017
- Previously 13+ years in GMP regulated industry at Metahelix and Sri Raghavendra Biotechnologies
Sofia Lindegård, MSc
- MSc in Medical Biology (Lund University)
- Joined in 2018
- Previously at Anicura
Martina Johannesson, PhD
Quality Control Scientist
- MSc in Molecular Biology (Lund University) in collaboration with Camurus AB and Ph.D. in Medical Science (Lund University).
- Joined in 2019
- Previously at Xintela AB, Spago Nanomedical AB, Swedish Socialstyrelsen (publ), and VitroSorb AB